Wednesday, May 30

What's in Your Alabaster Box?



  
I have an old shoe box. Packed away somewhere. Filled with precious things. Love letters from my pre-wedding hubby. Old mementos. Probably a pressed flower or two. And other things I don’t even remember. I haven’t seen its contents in years.

Do you have a box like that? Is it filled with precious keepsakes like secrets, baby shoes, love letters, awards?

We keep tokens like this because we value them, maybe not so much for worldly value but for heartly value.

We have all read or heard many times of the story of a box (or jar) made of a highly esteemed stone, containing a prized ointment of great monetary value.

Passover was near. Jesus was in Bethany, having dinner, and “there came unto Him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on His head as He sat at meat.” (Matt. 26:7 KJ21)

Such a touching and devoted gesture. An alabaster passion box, full of an extremely valuable, perfumed oil of spikenard poured out on the One she loved the most.

In regard to this, I wrote in a past post, Sweet Smell of Sacrifice http://bit.ly/f9B2kH ...

She lovingly poured it upon Jesus’ head, and it likely trickled down His cheeks, seeped into His beard, and gently dripped upon His shoulders, saturating His garment...

Don’t you know that through the long hours of His agony in the garden, during His betrayal, in the courtyard of His judgment before Caiaphas and Pilate, and until that garment was removed, Jesus must have breathed in that sweet smell of sacrificial love poured out upon Him, while this scripture likely echoed in His Spirit, “The odor of your ointments is fragrant, your name is like perfume poured out.” (SOS 1:3 Amp)

As He probably did not wash His hair, the fragrance clung to it. That sweet aroma must have wafted its fragrance of love into His nostrils throughout His torment at the whipping post and while hanging on the cross, more than likely thinking, “This is for all those who will pour out their love on Me.”

But when she poured her fragrance of passion upon her Beloved Lord, some of the disciples became indignant and asked, “Why was this wasted?” (Matt. 26:8 NLV)

What would happen if we considered our heart as our alabaster box?

What precious things fill your heart? Special memories of love? Treasured moments with friends or loved ones? Encouraging words said to you? Cherished times spent with the Lord?

Or maybe it is filled with bitter memories of anger, abuse, addiction, or unforgiveness.

When you meet with your Beloved, to dine in His presence, to sit at His feet and tell Him you love Him, what passion fragrance do you pour out on Him?

Do you pour out the stench of whining, complaining, or bitterness? As the disciples said, “What a waste!”

Or do you pour out that overflow of sweet-smelling love, gratitude, and thanksgiving? Does your Beloved Lord receive it as He did the loving gift of spikenard?

“Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God.”
(2 Cor. 2:15 NLT)

~Lord, may the contents of our alabaster hearts and lives be poured out as a pleasing aroma in Your presence.

                                                                         
Hooking up with...





Imperfect Prose



 
 
 Beholding Glory/Faith Filled Friday
 






Share/Save/Bookmark
25 Responses
  1. Beautiful words for me to consider. Thank you for this lovely and convicting post!


  2. Kath Says:

    Amen. May we be willing to give our precious things and with a generous heart. What a great reminder. Thanks.


  3. What a lovely post, Lynn. I am in the middle of cleaning out my garage and the two closets at the back of it. Do I wish I had one nice box to hold my precious memorabilia? Yes, if only it would all fit into one box. Oh, Lord, let me learn to let go of everything but the most precious: You, my Bibles, pictures of my family--that's it. Thanks for listening to God, Lynn.


  4. TC Avey Says:

    Simply beautiful.
    I think I'm going to go look through my old shoe box full of precious memories and thank God for all His blessings.

    @tcavey1


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Theresa, for visiting and commenting. I'm honored. Blessings to you!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Kath, how nice to have you visit. Thank you so much for your kind comment. Blessings to you!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Well, hallllooo, Pat! I haven't seen you in ages. Hope all is well at your house and the cleaning is going well! LOL You're right about saving things, or rather, getting rid of things. Thank you so much for taking time to read and comment. Bless you!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    TC, thank you so much for your kind comment. I'm honored to have you visit. Bless you!


  9. You are a sweet fragrance, Lynn.

    And yes, I have a box or two like that filled with heartlies. :)


  10. Beautifully written, Lynn. I desire to be an alabaster box for Jesus. When you hold alabaster up to the light, it is translucent. I want Jesus' light to shine through me, too--just like light shines through alabaster.


  11. complaint is a poison. let us pour out something precious--and be filled anew by One who loves extravagantly.

    lovely meditation.


  12. daisymarie Says:

    This reminded me of a sermon I preached many years ago where to illustrate the point (through a monologue I had written to go along with the sermon) I spilled out my most favorite perfume-one that was no longer being made. What's in my alabaster box...nothing it, I, am spilled out daily for him. Thanks for the reminder!


  13. daisymarie Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.

  14. Joan Hall Says:

    Lovely post, Lynn and very thought provoking. Do I always give Him my best or do I sometimes whine and complain. Sadly, the latter is true.

    Blessings,
    Joan


  15. alisa Says:

    Yes! I have a little box of keepsakes, and I've created one for each of my kids. And I realized from reading your post that I'm slowly filling their little hearts with special moments and memories! I pray that I can give them a heartfull before they leave my home!


  16. I have an antique trunk filled with treasures of the heart ( I love that phrase, Lynn!) I am working on seeing, tasting and smelling the sweetness of the Lord rather than dwelling on the bitterness of life's trials.


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Snady-girl, thank you! You are a sweetheart. I always appreciate your visits! Bless you!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Such a wonderful thought, Carol. I had forgotten about the translucency. Thank you for adding that. And you are a beautiful alabaster box of the Lord. Blessings!


  19. lynnmosher Says:

    Suzannah, you are so right. Complaining is a poison. Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. Blessings to you!


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    Daisymarie, that sounds like it was a wonderful sermon. I deeply appreciate your visiting and commenting. Bless you!


  21. lynnmosher Says:

    You are such a sweet blessing, Joan. Thanks for stopping by. Makes my heart happy. Bless you!


  22. lynnmosher Says:

    Such a beautiful thought, Alisa. Thank you so much for adding that. Lovely to leave behind such precious memories. Bless you!


  23. lynnmosher Says:

    Yay, for you, Ceci! I'm sure that trunk of yours is filled with wonderful things! I know your heart is! Bless you!


  24. Gigi Says:

    I loved this! I have hatboxes with letters, calendars, journals, etc. I'm a collector of things and like Mary, "I ponder a lot in my heart." I hope when my "alabaster box" is broken and spilled out before people that they can see the love of God radiating in and through me.

    *Test: I signed in thru my Blogger acct. Let's see if you can reply. I don't think my other friends have been having a problem.

    Love you Lynn <3


  25. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Gigi! I'm not having a problem here with your comments. Just on your site. Thanks so much, sweetie, for commenting on this. Love you!