Thursday, March 8

This Old House


In the neighborhood where I live, I have one neighbor who likes to cause trouble. He picks the fruit from my trees, chops down my shade trees, and mows down my flowers.

He dumps trash in my yard, reads my mail, steals my packages from the delivery man, tries to tell me all the neighborhood gossip about my friends, and does his darnedest to make me mad.

Forever prowling around the premises, he tries to sneak in the windows and get his foot in the door, attempting to steal my belongings. So I put an alarm system on all the doors and windows.

He likes my house and wants to live here, but I’m under a lease contract for a single dweller. He can’t have it and he certainly isn’t going to move in with me! But he still continues to try to take it away from me.

It’s a comfortable old house, though it’s not the most beautiful on the block nor is it the biggest. The landlord was very generous in his lease, so I appreciate what I have, even if a few structural changes are needed.

A few of its rooms have become dusty and overcrowded and need remodeling. Some of the junk needs to be put out with the trash. Some rooms are in a constant state of upheaval; others just need rearranging.

The windows have become a little foggy, so they’re not as easy to see through as before. Some of the shingles are falling off the roof, while some of the fence pickets are missing.

A few of the hinges have become a little rusty and don’t work as well as they used to, but the landlord I lease from said he would make all the necessary repairs. I know he will, for he is a man of his word. However, he does have a busy schedule, so I’m just patiently waiting my turn.

I thought it might be time to move, but he says I can stay a while longer, if I do some of the maintenance work. I do look forward to moving, though, because I’ve had my eye on this perfect, little cottage that’s being built. I’d really like to move there some day…there’s no traffic, no noise, the air is clean, great neighbors, the scenery is beautiful, and best of all, no more Mr. Meany!

I’ve called ahead to see if it was ready but they tell me they’re still working on it. Well, I guess I can wait a little longer. I’m not really finished renovating this one!

~~I hope you know this was all tongue-in-cheek and about my physical body-home. Paul wrote, “For we know that when this tent we live in now is taken down-when we die and leave these bodies-we will have wonderful new bodies in heaven, homes that will be ours forevermore, made for us by God Himself and not by human hands.” (2 Cor. 5:1 TLB)




This was one of the first posts when I started my blog. Hope you enjoyed it for the first time or as a rerun.

Linking up today with...
Reflections of His Grace



Some Girl’s Website
SomeGirlsWebsite.com


Beholding Glory
Beholding Glory


Share/Save/Bookmark
10 Responses
  1. Heather Says:

    What a great post! I loved your perspective! Thanks:)


  2. Maybe our cottages are being built just a meadow away from each other! Just a lease - oh, yes! I love the heart and visual of this post!


  3. marygems Says:

    Lynn this analogy is so apt while being thought-provoking. I do so love your writing- thank you for sharing your gift with us, your readers.


  4. Very cute, I loved it! It was a beautiful analogy between our earthly home and the one waiting for us in Heaven.


  5. Great post. Love the analogy, although there for a moment I actually wondered if we had the same neighbor.


  6. You're such a neat gal. I loved this.


  7. Bryan Says:

    I really did enjoy your analogy of our body now to future glory in Heaven. Thanks for sharing!


  8. Joan Hall Says:

    Oh I love the analogy! Thanks for sharing, Lynn.

    Blessings,
    Joan


  9. Hi Lynn - just popping in to wish you a Happy Tuesday and to let you know that I am featuring this post this morning in the Ruby community and on the Ruby blog. Please stop by and leave a comment and share the link with your readers! Great post, I love this little story ;o) it is so encouraging to remember that this old house is just temporary and we have our Eternal Home to look forward to, no matter how worn out this dwelling becomes. Love you, Nina


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    I so appreciate all your comments. Forgive me for not responding sooner. I haven't been feeling well. Thank you all so much. You make my heart very happy. Blessings to you all!